BY SMALL AND SIMPLE THINGS ARE GREAT THINGS BROUGHT TO PASS.

Monday, January 30, 2012

I'm On My Way!

Happy dance! In the last five weeks I have lost 15 pounds and over 2 inches on my hips! You probably can't even tell it yet by looking at me, but my loose pants sure feel good.  I am so excited and plan to keep going until I reach my goal. Here’s what I have been doing to make it happen.

The first Monday in January I started attending the gym 5 days a week. I walk on the treadmill for 45- 60 minutes. Each week I have been able to go a bit faster speed for longer stretches of time. After two weeks I also started using the weight machines twice a week so I can maintain muscle as I lose fat. I am a weakling for sure! 25 pounds on my arms is all I can take right now, but it is better than nothing. In a couple of weeks I will add a third day to my weight training. The best part is that I always feel good when get done exercising. I am starting to feel that exercise is my stress reliever now instead of food.

I admit that some days when I go to the gym I feel self-conscious because the other people on the treadmills are running and I am just walking. But then I give myself a reminder that those people are much more fit than I am and it doesn’t matter what they are doing. What matters are the changes that I have made in my fitness level.

As mentioned last week I have made some significant changes to what I am eating and trying to eat healthier overall. I am eating about 1400-1800 calories a day, making sure to eat all of the nutrients needed to still be healthy. I eat 3 meals a day and usually a couple of snacks. And I drink tons of water. No fad diets or HCG here! I still eat carbs, protein and fat. Just the healthier kinds in reasonable portions.

I know I would not have been able to keep my calories in control if I had not been tracking what I ate. Before I started trying to lose fat most days I ate over the recommended calorie intake (obviously!) and regularly indulged in favorite treats like brownies and chocolate bars. My idea of a portion was not reality. And I never exercised. Bad combination! After the first week of changing my diet I stopped feeling hungry so often and my strong cravings for treats has greatly diminished. Isabelle has tried to tempt me numerous times with donuts, brownies, etc and I have been able to walk away. I never thought I would be able to turn down chocolate!

(Cue music) “I'm on my way from misery to happiness today. A huh, a huh, a huh, a huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world…I’ll do my best to do the best I can.”  (I’m On My Way- The Proclaimers)

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! What gym do you go to? I just joined a gym too, wish I could go as often as you do, but it's hard for me to get into Brigham all the time, and I still have a four year old at home. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to K & H Fitness Quarter (across the street from the D.I.). I haven't had to go in the middle of the night yet, but it is open 24 hours, so that is helpful for those with crazy schedules. Thanks!

      Delete